Saturday, March 9, 2013

School Thy Feelings, O My Brother

"School Thy Feelings, O My Brother,
Train thy warm, impulsive soul.
Do not it's emotions smoother,
But let wisdom's voice control.
School thy feelings; there is Power,
In the cool, collected mind.
Passion shatters reason's tower,
Makes the clearest vision blind."

My new fave hymn that I've never sang (at least I don't remember).  I always feel that I am possibly so far gone, that I am too enveloped in this "world" to still be able to hear the gentle call of that still, small voice.  At times I feel like my heart is full with contention and anger and when I wake the next day...all is good and I feel like singing.  3 out of 5 doctors would call me Bi-Polar...the other two would write me off as a girl.  Today was not a good day.  Well, the first half at least...the jury's still out on the rest. It's only 6pm...night's still young right? oh wait, I'll prolly be asleep in 3 hours...eh.  I've been harbouring negative thoughts and holding on to old feelings of hurt and confusion.  Bad combo...my thoughts were spiralling out of control with anger infused creativity you all know the feeling and luckily for me...it was Sunday.

I try my best to make it to church every Sunday, and if I miss, I make sure it's for a valid and legitimate reason. Forgetting to straighten my hair Saturday night...not so legit.  Upon arriving back home, I felt the need to open the computer and for the first time in maybe 2 months...I didn't head directly to Facebook or Instagram, but to lds.org.  I came across a talk from President Monson and It set me straight. It gave me exactly what I needed.  Although his talk, 'School Thy Feelings, O My Brother', was originally intended for the priesthood holders of our church...It was exactly what I needed.  He quoted the above captioned song and I immediately felt the spirit.  I realized, It's not the spirit who chooses to be with us, it is us...who choose to find the spirit and feel its guidance.

1 comment: